Metallica, Iron Maiden, Chickenfoot, Steve Vai and other artists will appear on Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head a Deep Purple tribute album scheduled to be released September 4.
The album, which features cover versions of every track on Deep Purple’s classic 1972 album, also will feature appearances by Carlos Santana, Joe Bonamassa, Black Label Society, The Flaming Lips and supergroups featuring Steve Vai, Chad Smith, Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan and former Deep Purple member Glenn Hughes.
Machine Head, one of hard rock’s most celebrated albums, features several classic tracks, including such as “Smoke on the Water,” “Highway Star” and “Space Truckin’.”
“We were asked if we’d contribute to the anniversary of [classic Deep Purple album] Machine Head — we can’t turn that down,” Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich told Loudwire.com. “We’re circling the Dio and Purple catalogs and hopefully we’ll come up with something that is worthy of these wonderful men.” Metallica have covered “When a Blind Man Cries” on the Deep Purple tribute.
News of the album’s falls closely after the death of former Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord, who died July 16.
Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head Track Listing:
01. Smoke on the Water – Carlos Santana
02. Highway Star – Chickenfoot
03. Maybe I’m a Leo – Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Luis Maldonado
04. Pictures of Home – Black Label Society
05. Never Before – Kings of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Arlan Schierbaum)
06. Smoke on the Water – The Flaming Lips
07. Lazy – Jimmy Barnes, Joe Bonamassa
08. Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
09. When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
10. Highway Star – Glenn Hughes, Steve Vai, Chad Smith, Lachlan Doley