Bonham admits BCC frustration


Black Country Communion drummer Jason Bonham admits he’s frustrated over the band’s inability to tour new album Afterglow.

He says he was told the supergroup would be hitting the road to promote its release – despite Joe Bonamassa’s insistence that everyone knew he didn’t have time to do so.

On Wednesday the guitarist broke his silence over the fall-out between him and Glenn Hughes, saying he was upset that the frontman had tried to “bully” him into playing live.


Now Bonham tells Classic Rock: “It is kinda sad that we do this product, then when it comes to touring there’s no plans. I find that really amazing.

“When I started this project I didn’t know what we were doing. As it took off I thought we were bound to start working more. I’m not blaming anybody in particular – but we should tour. I love everyone in the band and I’d love to take it on the road. Certain powers-that-be are holding us back.”

The drummer says he wasn’t aware that Bonamassa wouldn’t be available – and if he wasn’t, he wonders why BCC went into the studio to record Afterglow when they did.

“All I know is, when we did the album there was talk of touring to promote it,” he reports. “I thought there would be.

“I can go on the internet and I can see Joe’s schedule – he’s booked up throughout the whole year. So I felt: what was the rush to start the album when we did? Surely we should have done it when we had time, and Joe had time, to promote it?”

Bonamassa has said he refused to appear at BCC’s one-off show in Wolverhampton because he was worried Hughes would “make some stupid fucking announcement on stage” relating to whether the band had a future.

Asked if he can explain exactly what happened, Bonham says: “I have no idea. I’ve had no contact with the other guys except Glenn. I tried to get a reaction from Joe’s management but they just said there were complications.

“I could sense there was something up – somebody was upset somewhere about something.

“It’s very fucking frustrating: I absolutely adore Joe to bits. He’s one of the best guitar players around. But I just wish we could tour.

“I know he’s busy; I get it, I do get it. But Glenn, myself and Derek Sherinian, we’d love to tour. Maybe we’ll figure out some way to do it. Who knows? I just hope we can work something out.”

Afterglow, BCC’s third album in two years, is released on October 29. Find out more at www.bccommunion.com

source: classicrockmagazine.com